Please click About Me for links to Recipes by Category, Facebook, Pinterest, Follow Me and more.
If you are looking for a breakfast (or snack) that has protein, nutrients, fruits, nuts, fiber, and iron, and is quick, easy, satisfying, and filling, then look no further than here. Yes, seriously, this casserole is all those things and more.
I love this casserole because I can make it a night ahead and just serve up portions in the morning with a little zap in the microwave. You can eat it plain because it is moist and has so many flavors, or add a drop of pure honey or maple syrup over it. It’s a complete meal in itself and it’ll give you all the energy you need to take you through your busy mornings.
Another great thing about this casserole is that there are no rules for what you can put in it. I used what I had on hand, which was frozen blueberries and rhubarb, pecans, and bananas, but you could easily use strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and walnuts. Whatever your heart desires.
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, plus extra for topping
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup pecan or walnut pieces, divided
1 cup frozen berries, divided
1/4 – 1/2 cup frozen rhubarb pieces
1/2 cup chocolate chips, divided
1 banana, sliced
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 T butter, melted
1 T vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375* and grease a 10×7 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl combine the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the nuts, half the berries, the rhubarb, and half the chocolate. Mix well.
3. Lay this mixture out evenly in baking dish. Top with banana slices and remaining nuts berries, and chocolate.
4. Whisk together milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter (make sure the butter sits a minute so it’s not too hot).
5. Pour over oatmeal mixture and gently shake the dish so the milk goes through the oats.
6. Sprinkle additional brown sugar over the top (maybe 1/8 cup) and bake for 35 minutes.
Cast Party Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Wake Up Wednesdays, Lovely Ladies Linky, Full Plate Thursday, Thursday’s Treasures, Weekend Potluck, Get Him Fed, Foodie Friday, Feed Me Friday,TGIF, Super Saturday, Saturday Spotlight, Strut Your Stuff, Friday Flash, Super Sunday, Random Recipe Roundup, Marvelous Mondays, Melt In Your Mouth, What’d You Do Wknd?, Simple Supper Tuesday, Tuesday’s Table, Tasty Tuesdays, In & Out of the Kitchen,