This was soooooo yummy. Hubby and I like to eat meatless so this was actually great by itself for a meal, but it makes an awesome side dish as well for those who want a more rounded-out dinner. The boys liked it, too, though they aren’t crazy about chunks of tomato. A regular caprese uses fresh, delicious mozzarella, so by all means use it if you’ve got it. However, I didn’t have any so I used goat cheese instead. It was awesome! This dish came out tasting like warm, comforting, creamy tomato soup with some chew. Delicious.
Caprese Style Quinoa Bake
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup pasta sauce
2 T tomato paste
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup Mozzarella (or 4 oz. goat cheese)
2/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved*
1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into ribbons
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Cook the quinoa- 1 cup quinoa + 2 cups chicken broth.
2. In a saucepan heat up the pasta sauce and tomato paste. Once warm, stir in the cream, parmesan, salt & pepper, half the tomatoes, half the basil, and half the mozzarella or goat cheese. Stir until heated through and everything is melted and smooth. *I didn’t have grape tomatoes so I diced up a large one.
3. Spray a baking dish (I used a 4×7 but you can go up to an 8×8 or 9×9). Pour in quinoa mixture and top with remaining tomato and mozz/goat cheese.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for an additional 2 or 3, until cheese is gold and bubbly.
5. Remove from oven and top with the remaining basil ribbons. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
Foodie Friday, Get Him Fed, Weekend Potluck, Friday Flash, Feed Me Friday, TGIF, Saturday Spotlight, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Super Saturday, Super Sunday, Random Recipe Roundup, Melt in Your Mouth, Marvelous Mondays, What’d You Do This Wknd?, Tuesday’s Table, Tasty Tuesdays, In & Out of the Kitchen, Cast Party Wed, Wed Extravaganza, Lovely Ladies, Wake Up Wednesday, Thursday’s Treasures, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday
FEATURED ON FRIDAY FLASH BLOG #38!