Yay for a new Mexican-inspired meal! This was a hit mostly because it was quite different from the usual chicken or ground beef Tex-Mex dishes I usually make. I used a 2.5 pound chuck roast with plenty of fat to tenderize the meat, though you could use a leaner piece if you want. Also I let this baby slow cook for at least 12 hours. If you have the time I suggest it- it’s worth it.
Shredded Beef Tacos with Lime Cabbage & Queso Blanco
2.5 lb. chuck roast
1 T EVOO
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1.2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
flour or corn tortillas (makes 6-8)
1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
1 lime, zested & juiced
1/2 wheel of fresco queso cheese, chopped
1. Heat oil in skillet and sear meat on all sides. I cut the roast up into 5 thick 1-inch slices to get a good sear on as much of it as possible. Place seared meat in crock pot.
2. Combine together salt, pepper, paprika, onion & garlic powders, and cumin. Sprinkle over the meat and then pour the beer over it all. Set to low for at least 8 solid hours.
3. Thinly slice the cabbage and toss well with zest and juice of one lime and a pinch of salt.
4. Chop up or crumble the mexican cheese.
5. Additional sides for tacos are tomato, avocado, red and/or green onion, and salsa. Simply assemble tacos and enjoy.
Marvelous Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, In & Out of the Kitchen, Tuesdays Table, Simple Supper Tuesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Cast Party Wednesday, What’s in Your Kitchen, Two Girls and a Party, Full Plate Thursday, Thursday Treasures, Weekend Potluck, Foodie Friday, Fidlers Friday, TGIF