These fritters were super yummy, and the best part is with all these flavors you could easily swap the meat out for crab or shrimp or any other fish you like. The aioli definitely made this dish so don’t forget to whip up some and refrigerate for a bit while you’re making your fritters.
Cajun Chicken Fritters
3 or 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 T butter, melted
1 tsp srirachi or other hot pepper sauce
1-2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 1/2 tsp liquid crab boil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any colors)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 T grain mustard
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1. Whisk ingredients for aioli together and refrigerate. *This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, depending on how much you like.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl combine buttermilk, butter, slightly beaten egg yolks, hot pepper sauce, cajun seasoning, and crab boil.
4. Stir to combine the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Add in peppers, garlic, and shredded chicken.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and then fold into the chicken mixture completely.
6. Heat cooking oil (about 1 inch) in a dutch oven or heavy skillet, and drop chicken mixture by spoonfuls into the oil, about 4 at a time so they have room to cook and don’t stick together. Flip and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
7. Serve with cajun aioli and something creamy and crunchy like cole slaw.
Melt in Your Mouth Mondays @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks & Frugal Foodie Mama, Tempt My Tummy @ Blessed with Grace, In & Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big, Simple Supper Tuesday @ Hun, What’s for Dinner?, Tuesday’s Table @ Love in the Kitchen, Wednesday Extravaganza @ Hungry Little Girl, Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain, What’s in Your Kitchen @ Kitchen Meets Girl,