This recipe looked so awesome to me when I found it that I knew I had to make it. It reminded me of those yummy, chewy butter cookies my mom and I used to make when I was a kid. Only these are thicker and gooey-er 🙂 Serve with some fresh fruit on top and you’ve got more than just a sweet snack, you’ve got dessert! Recipe slightly adapted from Better Homes & Gardens.
Gooey Butter Bars
2 1/2 cups flour, divided (1/2 wheat & 1/2 unbleached)
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided (I use an organic granulated brown sugar)
1/2 cup cold butter
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 T honey
pinch ground ginger
1. First of all, if your strawberries are still a bit hard and bitter (which they most likely are since it’s just the start of May) wash and cut them up, then place into a bowl and toss with about 1 tsp of sugar. Let them sit until the sugar draws out the natural juices. Drain if needed. Mix in honey and sprinkle on a bit of ground ginger. Stir to combine.
2. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
3. To make the crust combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the 1/2 cup of cold butter. Mixture should look crumbly. Pat firmly into prepared pan and set aside.
4. In a large bowl place softened butter and beat on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in the 1 1/4 cups sugar. Beat in corn syrup, egg, and almond extract just until combined. Alternately add the remaining flour and heavy cream, beating after each addition until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Spread into crust-lined pan and bake about 45 minutes or until center is just set.
6. Cool completely on wire rack. Use parchment paper to lift from pan. Cut into bars.
7. Serve with strawberries or fresh fruit of your choice.