Instead of rolling the mixture up in tortillas I decided to make it a one-dish meal by combining everything with some cheesy pasta. Yum!
Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake
1 lb. spiral or penne pasta, cooked
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T EVOO
3 tsp southwest seasoning blend*
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp peper
1/2 cup bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 onion, sliced thin
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 (12 oz) jar enchilada sauce
1 T lime juice
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese blend, divided
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the spices (southwest, cumin, chili pepper, salt & pepper). Southwest seasonings is just a combo of chipotle powder, chili powder, brown sugar, and paprika, so you can easily put this together with separate ingredients.
3. Cut chicken up into slices or bite-sized pieces and toss with 1/2 the spice mixture. Heat 1 T EVOO in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken. Remove and set aside.
4. In the same skillet heat the remaining 1 T of EVOO and cook the onion and peppers until soft. Add garlic for a few minutes longer. You may need to add a bit of water or chicken broth here. I put in about 1/8 cup.
5. Add in the enchilada sauce (I use Trader Joe’s 12 oz. jars but you can use any kind you like) the lime juice, and the remaining spice mixture. Stir well to combine.
6. Stir back in the chicken and add 1 cup cheese until it begins to melt.
7. Mix with pasta and place in sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake for about 20 minutes until bubbly and perfect.
This recipe was featured on Tuesday’s Table @ Love in the Kitchen!!