I am stoked to share this recipe with you today. After a very loooong week of hardly any cooking and no posting, I am back in the saddle and kicking May off with this awesome vegetarian (and potentially gluten free) tex-mex meal! These burritos can easily be made with a GF tortilla or even better in corn tortillas and eaten taco style. Enjoy!
Quinoa, Black Bean & Corn Burritos
1 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water)
1 T EVOO
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained*
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
flour or corn tortillas
If desired: avocado or guacamole, diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce, shredded cheese, taco or hot sauce
1. Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the onions, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook one more minute.
2. Pour in broth and tomatoes. *I used tomatoes that didn’t have chilis in them so I added a can of diced green chilis (4 oz can) but only used 2 oz. It’s up to you how much heat you like. Add in spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt & pepper) and cooked quinoa; stir well to combine.
3. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for about 20 minutes or until mixture thickens.
4. Stir in black beans, corn, lime juice and cilantro, and allow to simmer an additional 5-10 minutes, uncovered.
5. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings. If making burritos I suggest heating up a small pan with some cooking spray and setting the folded burritos in the pan for just a few minutes on each side. This will help keep your tortillas together and it gives it a nice added flavor and texture.