Here is an easy appetizer to put together for those impromptu drop-ins or just for an evening of nibbling something light out on the back porch as you enjoy a spring evening. I used a thin lox-like salmon for this but next time I will try a hot smoked salmon that is flaky. I think it will add a lot more texture and flavor.
Smoked Salmon Bruschetta
10 oz. smoked salmon (no skin)
7-8 oz. creme fraiche OR *sour cream/cream cheese mixture
1 T dill
1 cornichon, finely diced (or 1 tsp capers)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup EVOO
1. In a large bowl place the cut up (or flaked) salmon and mix with the creme fraiche. *In place of creme fraiche you can combine 2 oz cream cheese with 2 T sour cream.
2. Mix in the dill and chopped capers. I am not super fond of capers so 1 tsp was enough for me, however if you really like them then you could easily add another tsp, or more to taste.
3. Add the lemon juice and season with the pepper.
4. Drizzle the baguette slices with the EVOO and either broil or lightly fry in a saute pan until slightly browned.
5. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of salmon mixture onto each toast and serve.