Here’s a carrot cake for Easter that tastes great, doesn’t require a lot of work, and is just slightly different from the average carrot cake. I even decorated it with a few carrot gummies I found at the dollar store. But you don’t have to only use this recipe for Easter. Make it all Spring long and decorate it with anything you want.
2/3 cup sugar
2 T EVOO
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup flour
2 cups shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
powdered sugar, for rolling the cake
For the Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
5 T butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) with parchment paper or foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray and then dust with powdered sugar.
2. Beat eggs at high-speed for 5 minutes, until frothy. Beat in sugar, oil, and vanilla.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and flour. Stir into egg mixture just until blended. Add carrots.
4. Spread in prepared pan. Use a rubber scraper to smooth the batter into the corners. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Lay out a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, turn it over onto the towel. Remove paper/foil gently.
6. Working at a short end, fold the edge of the towel over the cake and began to roll tightly. You can sprinkle some powdered sugar or flour on this side of the cake as well, if needed.
7. Leave cake rolled up in the towel at least one hour, until completely cooled.
8. While cake is cooling, make the filling. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add in sugar and vanilla until combined.
9. When cake is cool, careful unroll the towel. Spread about 50 -60% of the frosting over the cake evenly. Re-roll tightly. Use the rest of the frosting for the outside of the cake.
10. Chill another 30 – 60 minutes at least. Dust with powdered sugar and decorate as desired. *Cake can be wrapped in plastic and frozen up to a month.