Number Two always gets excited when I make tacos. He loves them. This recipe was simple and quick, but I didn’t get a very good picture because it was already dark out and the dozen tacos I made were gobbled up in no time by all my boys.
This was a great twist on a classic. The hard shells are baked with the meat and cheese already inside, giving it a not hard but not soft outer layer. We had forks on hand for the messier ones, but some held together well even after loading up with lettuce, tomato, and salsa.
Gluten Free Baked Tacos
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 can refried beans (or organic pinto beans, mashed)
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 pkg taco seasoning (or 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
12 taco shells
lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, black beans, etc. for serving
1. Brown the meat. Drain off any fat if using beef.
2. Add refried beans, tomato sauce, and seasoning.
3. Spoon mixture into taco shells. Stuff cheese into shells over meat mixture.
4. Place filled shells into a 9×13 pan, standing up and sprinkle with any remaining cheese. *I didn’t do this. I laid them down on a cookie sheet, so one side was baked while the underside was greasy and heavenly. Your choice.
5. Bake at 400* for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.