We are not huge potato eaters here. Occasionally I will cube up small potatoes, toss them in EVOO and salt & pepper and roast them. They go really well with pot roast and are even better with a sprinkle of Parmesan sprinkled and baked on them.
This time I decided to try a classic dish with a twist. Maybe it’s nostalgia, but I always feel that some variety of potato should accompany a traditional meal such as a roasted turkey, you know, where you pour gravy over everything : So here is a little something extra for your next mashed potato meal.
Bacon & Spinach Mashed Potatoes
2 lbs. potatoes
6 slices turkey bacon
1 pkg (9 oz.) baby spinach leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 oz.) block of cream cheese, softened
1 T EVOO
1/8 cup white wine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup milk, if needed
1. Peel and cut your potato into chunks, then boil in salted water until soft.
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet just until crisp. Place on paper towel to drain; crumble.
3. In same skillet, add EVOO and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine to deglaze the pan.
4. Add spinach; cooking and stirring a few minutes, just until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat. Add in crumbled bacon.
5. Drain and mash potatoes. Stir in cream cheese, milk, and salt and pepper. Add in spinach mixture and combine well.