Wow! Did you read that right? Let’s say that again: Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies with Pie Spice Cream Cheese Frosting. THAT is a mouthful! And your mouth will be full…of these wonderful whoopie pies!
There’s not really anything that needs to be said here…don’t ya think? So without further ado I give you the recipe 🙂
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
2 1/2 cups flour (1/2 unbleached & 1/2 whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 T cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Brown the butter in saute pan. This is key to giving the batter a caramel-like smell and flavor. You could probably make this with just regular butter, but I promise you won’t be sorry you did this extra step. Allow butter to cool until it solidifies into a semi-soft state.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream together the browned butter and the two sugars. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
4. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop onto cookie sheet by tablespoons and flatten slightly. You’ll need wet fingers for this as the batter is very sticky.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Pie Spice Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup butter
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1. Combine the softened cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl; mix just until blended.
2. Add in vanilla and pie spice. *You could also use cinnamon instead, or both.
3. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, mixing on low speed, until it’s all combined.
4. Sandwich about 1 T of frosting between two cookies.
5. Keep refrigerated.