This is a great and simple meal when you are craving something savory. Chicken Cacciatore isn’t a new concept by any means, but it is perfect comfort food and this recipe is super healthy. Low on fat and calories and high in protein, you can even splurge a little and serve with some pasta. For an even healthier meal serve with brown rice.
4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 red or orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced (or 1/2 lb)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup white wine
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth, as needed
1 T basil
1/2 T oregano
1. Wash and pat dry chicken. Heat some EVOO in a skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken, both sides, until browned.
2. Set chicken aside and reduce heat to medium; deglaze pan with some broth. Add the onion and peppers and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for several minutes.
3. Add in the wine and cook until reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes, juice, sauce, any remaining broth, and herbs. Bring to a simmer.
4. Place the chicken back in the skillet and simmer, covered, until the chicken is done, about 20 minutes. *The longer it simmers the better it will be 🙂 Just don’t let the liquid reduce to nothing. Keep the heat down low.
5. Spoon over pasta or brown rice. Top with some grated parmesan.