Gifts in a Jar idea
This is my Christmas version of the Cowgirl Cookie Mix in a Jar. I certainly am not claiming any ownership here because I am sure this has been done before. But what’s so great about this cookie mix is that it is so versatile – all you have to do is change the color of the M&M’s. And lucky for us the M&M Company keeps us all in holiday colors 🙂
Reindeer Cookie Mix in a Jar
1 & 1/3 cup flour (1/2 unbleached & 1/2 whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup quick oats
3/4 cup M&Ms
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar (I used organic)
13 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Combine the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Get your other ingredients measured and ready.
2. Layer the ingredients like this:
First: Flour mixture
Fourth: Chocolate Chips
Fifth: Brown Sugar
Sixth: Regular Sugar
Seventh: Chopped pecans
2. Make sure you really pack each layer down. If for some reason it doesn’t all fit, it’s better to leave out the nuts than something essential like sugar. The ingredients should go all the way to the top of the jar.
3. Decorate the jars with a handmade label (or a label made using a desktop publisher), some fabric and ribbon or cord. Here I used some craft paper cut about 6 inches square, some double-sided tape to hold it in place on the lid, and some pipe cleaner garland with Christmas bells. There really is no wrong way to decorate your jars.
4. Make sure your labels include the directions for baking. They are as follows:
Add 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/2 cup butter (melted in the microwave), and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. It’s a tough batter to incorporate all the ingredients at once so you may need to use your hands.
Roll the dough into 1 -inch balls (I use a 1-inch scooper/melon baller). Place on parchment paper-covered baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Yield: about 3 dozen cookies.
So if you have a special occasion coming up or just need a cute gift for someone, consider customizing this cookie mix, layer it in a quart-size bell jar, and wrap a ribbon around it. Don’t forget to include directions because your recipient will need to know what wet stuff to add.
Here are a few ideas:
Pink M&M’s (Breast Cancer Awareness – Usually found around October) for girls birthday, bridal shower party favors
Purple or other dark colors (M&M’s puts out dark colored shells in dark chocolate) for boys birthday, groom’s party favors
Pastel M&M’s (Found around Easter) for baby shower, Easter-time, child’s birthday
Red & Blue M&M’s for 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veteran’s Day, or as a gift to someone in the Military (or a Vet)
Red and/or Pink M&M’s for Valentines Day, Sweetest Day, or an anniversary
Green M&M’s for St. Patrick’s Day
Orange and Brown Reese’s Pieces for Halloween
As you can see there are lots of possibilities and occasions for a gift like this.