These were so good, and oh so very sinful! I don’t do much deep-frying around here. In fact when it comes to deep-frying I’d have to say fritters are my weakness. I can bake and crisp anything in the oven for that fried effect but fritters MUST be fried 🙂
This was a pretty simple recipe to follow. It was the actual frying part that got messy for me- but if you’ve been reading long enough you shouldn’t be surprised. I tend to get a little messy in the kitchen when I cook.
These fritter were perfectly crispy on the outside and wonderfully cheesy and warm on the inside. Make these soon- you won’t be sorry! And you can even leave out the bacon and serve with wilted spinach for a great vegetarian meal!
Cheesy Rice Fritters
1 cup arborio rice
3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup panko or seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 – 1/2 cup EVOO
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and 2 & 1/2 cups water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until rice cooked through and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
3. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain and cut up; adding to the rice.
4. Stir the eggs and cheeses into the rice mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the rice mixture into 12 mounds on the prepared baking sheet. Form into balls and flatten into 3-inch patties.
6. Put 1/4 oil into a large skillet and allow to get hot.
7. Spread some panko on a plate and lightly press both sides of the rice patties into it.
8. Place in hot oil and cook about 5 minutes until crisp, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
*Recipe adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray