Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for lasagna soup. I don’t know if this is a new concept or not, but after looking at a recipe and realizing how easy it was (and not really knowing for sure what I wanted to make for dinner…), I decided to give it a go.
Now this is the kind of dish that makes my hubby happy. He loves tomato sauces and the comfort of lasagna. The boys are not too keen on chunks of tomato in their food (which drives me nuts because I use tomatoes a lot!) so even though they like the taste they spend half the meal digging around the tomatoes.
This soup tasted just like lasagna. It was really good. I served it with a simple salad tossed with Italian dressing and some homemade garlic parmesan toasts from some ciabatta rolls I sliced. A simple and delicious meal that came together in 45 minutes.
1 lb ground turkey
1 tsp EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
1 T brown sugar
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
7 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken up
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup asiago cheese, grated
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Into a soup pot put the ground turkey, onion, garlic, and EVOO. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, crumbling the meat until browned and the onions are translucent.
2. Add the thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, brown sugar, tomatoes and sauce, the broth, and the salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Break up the lasagna noodles into large chunks and add to the soup, letting them simmer until tender; about 10 minutes.
4. Add the parmesan and asiago cheeses. *You can just do 1 cup of parmesan. Stir it good and allow a few minutes for the cheese to melt.
5. Remove the pot from the stove. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
Sorry, the pictures are not so great because it was raining cats and dogs so I couldn’t go outside.