This was a twist on a recipe I’ve been meaning to do for some time. Lately I’ve not been turning out the best stuff- it’s like I’ve lost my mojo. I know, right? How does that happen?? So needless to say I’m not very motivated by lengthy recipe directions. Originally I meant to make an Apple Slab Pie, which was on my menu for the month, but instead I decided to do these cute and easy little tarts.
Mini Apple Tarte Tatins
1 sheet puff pastry
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375*.
2. Peel, core, and cut apples into 3 rings. Toss with cinnamon sugar and set aside.
3. Roll out thawed pastry sheet and cut into 9 equal squares. Wrap each apple ring.
4. Get skillet over medium heat and put in sugar and 1/2 the butter. Bring to light boil and caramelize into a syrup.
5. Place apples smooth side down into caramel syrup and cook a few minutes.
6. Melt remaining butter and mix with vanilla. Pour evenly over the upsides of the apple tarts (the side where the pastry is folded under).
7. Place whole pan into oven for about 30-45 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender.
8. At this point you could carefully flip each tart over and give it about 10 more minutes in the oven to get some of that caramelized syrup on the top side, or spoon it over the top from the bottom of the pan.
9. Serve top side up where the folds have baked up a little. Serve with ice cream if desired.
This recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage!